Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Web marketplace and My Phone service for Windows Mobile shutting down

In a series of rathar expected events, Microsoft just emailed owners of Windows Mobile that Windows Mobileweb marketplace and MyPhone, cloud backup service will soon be shutting down.



 Windows Marketplace for Mobile website will be discontinued starting 15th July. The temporarily discontinued URL will be updated with Windows Phone applications and related content which makes sense. Windows Mobile marketplace is also expectedto shut down completely soon, marketplace submission will end on 15th July which means a static marketplace. My Phone service on the other hand is a crucial cloud back up service, will stop taking backups post 7th August and completely shut down two months later. Now if you been solely relying on this service, fear not - Microsoft has got you covered:


On 7 August, 2011, the Microsoft My Phone service will stop synchronising data between My Phone-configured Windows Mobile 6.x phones and the My Phone service: User data will stop being backed up to the My Phone service. On this date, Microsoft will begin automatic migration of certain data types from the My Phone service to Windows Live SkyDrive.

Well, like I mentioned before - soon Windows Mobile marketplace will be completely in coming months gone thus becoming useless for Windows Mobile owners. Will they make the upgrade to Windows Phone? That's debatable because not many Windows Mobile loyalists love Windows Phone in it's current state but Mango has impressed one and all. End of  the road indeed for Windows Mobile.

via My Microsoft Life

By Rahul Mathur

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives

     
    Web Analytics