Monday, July 25, 2011

My Tech Dilemma: Windows Phone or Android?

Our world is definitely evolving. The revolutionary PCs and the earth shattering Internet are now taken for granted and so is having a laptop and a robot that can cook a minute rice in thirty seconds. Okay, I was kidding about the robot (only Chuck Norris can do that). But PCs and laptops aren't the center of attention and innovation anymore. Since that eventful day in 2007, when the iPhone became official and broke all records, mobile phones have evolved at speeds that  make the Internet and PC revolutions look like snails. Outselling PCs last year smartphones now form the link between you and your entire social life, online and offline.
           


That was 4 years ago, now smartphones have evolved and cater to a large and varied demography of people, be it the famous sitcom actor, a business man or the geek. They all have an operating system and an ecosystem that suits their needs.  Blackberry for the business man, iOS for the famous and Android for the geeks and the hacking community. So where does our beloved Windows Phone fit in?
It certainly is more secure than Google's offering and as easy to use as the iPhone while providing a far more dynamic and enjoyable experience to the user.
I'm a student in his final year at school and am looking forward to buying a smartphone in the near future. But that's not all I am, I also am a geek and a tech enthusiast and want to spend a lot of time tinkering with my phone (tinkering with the PC is out of the question). I also have good taste in music (punk rock, psychedelic rock, in general the 70's to 2000) and would love to have my large collection with me wherever I am and would love to add more to it.








So which phone is meant for me?
My friend and colleague, Akshay Bakshi (another blogger here), just got what looks like the best smartphone on the market, the Samsung Galaxy S II. With it's gorgeous screen, incredibly thin waistline and drool worthy dual core processor, it looks indomitable. What held me back (other than my parents) was , while satisfying all my geeky desires of custom UIs and what not, it fails to provide a sophisticated and complete experience out of the box.



The iPhone is far from what I am looking for. The outdated look and feel of the UI and the tried and over-simplistic design, leaves me yearning for something more refreshing, something centred around me, rather than the product.

So from wherever you see the trail of my thoughts, I seem to be narrowing down to Windows Phone(this has nothing to do with the fact that I am blogging about Windows Phone). While anything is an improvement from Symbian (I have a Nokia 5230 currently), I want to get something that will leave me wanting more after two or three years when I wish to replace it. Windows Phone seems to be the perfect solution, but the geek inside of me surfaces up whenever I see a SGS II or a nexus device and the battle rages on inside me.





So what's my solution ?
Sacrificing one for the other is not my style. So, while swiping around in a Windows Phone handset I would love to have a device, running android, just to tinker with. Something like a replacement for my iPod touch. A portable media player instead of a phone. A wifi only device, no calls, no bills, no headaches. The galaxy players failed as they were outdated at launch and had such pathetic hardware. Tablets are a different category all together and I don't see much in tablets, be it Windows 8 tablets, Honeycomb tablets, the iPad 2 or the playbook.

A question still lingers in my mind, why wouldn't I take something like the Zune and have an Android handset. The reason is my phone would be my primary device. I would take it with me wherever I go and store all my information in it and would be what I reach for in urgent situations. Here Windows Phone trumps Android. The slick interface of Windows Phone and the wonderful integration of Facebook and Twitter and also the lack of fragmentation helps assert my initial choice. Furthermore, the mango update is definitely tipping the scales in Windows Phone's favor with over a dozen UI changes and speed improvements. Android, on the other hand,has its own ups (less) and downs (more) currently. But, December holds the promise of the latest version with a completely revamped UI and that keeps me optimistic. 
I will be waiting for an entire year so every development will be taken into consideration to ensure I get the best of all worlds.


Will I ever get what I want or will this be another dream of mine that never came true? Share your thoughts, what should I buy?


By Sameer

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives

     
    Web Analytics